Thursday, September 14, 2017

A Walk Through a Santhal Village

So rather than making up bulls*** posts, I have decided to finally make my long overdue posts from my memorable visit to the East of India. One of the memories that will always remain with me is a walk I took through a Santhal village with a friend. Indian villages can sometimes get overworked with embellishment but the structures in this village were simple shapes that looked like a child's drawings - uneven lines, large blocks of earthy color in limited palette and simple patterns. Arbitrarily placed objects created strange compositions. Everything seemed bleached out by the heat of the afternoon sun. We walked through courtyards and peered into windows, completely overcome by curiosity. We were not shooed away because the village seemed deserted and the few people who were present simply ignored us. 





















No comments: